Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sarah Rose a Greenpeace activist?

Lima - The environmental organization Greenpeace protested biofuel production at the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, in south- eastern Peru on Thursday, claiming ethanol will have a severe impact on the native forests of Latin America. Ahead of the European Union-Latin America and the Caribbean summit in Lima Friday and Saturday, Greenpeace called upon leaders to protect the Amazon rainforest from the encroachment of farmland due increased farming of sugar cane for ethanol.

Members of the organization displayed placards on the ruins - known as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World - with slogans like "Save the forest, save the planet." A notorious supporter of Greenpeace, Sarah Rose Ott, wearing only a cloth diaper, chained herself to the front door with brightly colored plastic links.

“Bwah eeee uuuhhhh,” she shouted at the bemused tourists, “ahhhh weeee arrrr.”

The protesters were later forced to leave by security personnel…

What? Oh. Sorry. Sarah Rose is NOT a member of Greenpeace? She simply loves green peas? Right. Well then, please disregard the above. It seems we’ve have a mix-up in our news stories of today. Mommy Ott reports that on Thursday she introduced Sarah to mushy green peas for the first time (made in our very own blender out of frozen peas). She is happy to report that Sarah Rose “must be my child” because she loves them. I had the privilege of feeding Sarah on Friday and I must say that she attacked every spoonful with a mouth open wider than a democrat running for president (if that’s possible).

I’m really excited about Sarah’s new found love because it means that I will one day be able to resurrect an Ott family tradition. In my family we never had a large Sunday spread after church. My mom liked to take a nap on Sunday afternoons, so instead of a roast with potatoes and gravy, we ate whatever dad could cook. So, nearly every Sunday I had split pea soup with saltine crackers spread with crunchy peanut butter. I realize that some of you are thinking right now that poor Peter had a deprived childhood, what with the lack of beef on Sundays. Think again! I LOVE split pea soup. In fact, I’ve been known to eat a spoonful of it cold out of the can before I warm up the rest of it. Melissa thinks that this is really gross. She can’t even stand the smell of the soup, so I have to sneak a bowl of it whenever she’s not around. But now, as of Thursday, it looks as if I have an ally in my fight against Melissa for kitchen supremacy…

2 comments:

Meli said...

you didn't dunk the peanut butter slathered crackers in the soup did you? because that's really nasty, the dunking bit. I'm with ya on the yummyness of split pea soup. taste-eee

Naomi said...

Ok, I like split pea soup too . . . but eating it cold? That IS nasty. In fact, when I make it I have to close my eyes while I'm scooping it out of the can, otherwise food is liable to go the opposite direction . . .