Sunday, May 18, 2008

Passing the Quarter Mark

Note: I pulled the baseball card photos below from eBay. However, I own a copy of all four cards, including the PSA Gem Mint 1993 Topps Traded Todd Helton.

As loyal readers are aware, I received XM satellite radio as a Christmas gift. I was especially excited when I opened the package Christmas morning because I knew that I’d be able to listen to every single Major League Baseball game on the radio. Sadly though, the teams I cheer for have been so atrocious this year that it pains me every time I listen to one of their games.

For those who don’t know, I cheer for four teams. Since I was born in Ohio, the first two teams I began cheering for were the Cincinnati Reds (NL) and Cleveland Indians (AL). When Colorado received an expansion team (first season was 1993), as a seventh-grader living in Fort Collins I felt it my duty to cheer for the Rockies (NL) as well. Finally, I have a soft spot for the Detroit Tigers (AL) as they are my dad’s team and have been perennial losers for nearly my entire life (a World Series title in 1984, playoff appearance in 1987 and World Series appearance in 2006 notwithstanding).

As a matter of fact, all four of my teams have been mostly losers throughout my childhood and early adult years. Sure, the Indians, Tigers and Rockies have all tantalized me by making World Series appearances, but have managed to lose every time. (Hey, I was four when the Tigers won—do you really expect me to remember that?) Only the Reds, who swept the Bash Brothers and the Oakland As in the 1990 World Series, have provided me the ultimate joy of a baseball fan. Who can forget the likes of Chris Sabo, Joe Oliver, Eric Davis (my favorite player as a kid—his name graces one of my fantasy baseball teams this year), Barry Larkin and the Nasty Boys, Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton and Randy Myers? I know I can’t!

So, why this blogpost on this particular day? Well, with a quarter of the season over, and with all of my teams, save the Indians, in last place, I’ve decided to recognize a player on each team that needs to step up to the plate in order to save his team’s season.

Ken Griffey Jr (RF), Cincinnati Reds
.245 BA, 4 HR, 19 RBI

He’s been a classy player his whole career and has never been linked to steroids and is the only no-doubt, future hall-of-famer on this list. Currently at 597 homeruns, he needs to step it up, avoid injuries this year and have a season similar to last year’s: .277 BA, 30 HR, 93 RBI.

Cliff Lee (P), Cleveland Indians
0.67 ERA, 6-0 W-L, 44 K

The only player here who doesn’t need to step it up a notch (or two, or three). He’s been light’s out this year, a pleasant surprise after last year’s dismal effort (5-8 with a 6.29 ERA and only 66 Ks, a performance that resulted in the Indians sending him down to AAA ball). While I don’t expect him to keep pitching at this level, he should easily be able to match his 2005 numbers of 18-5, 3.79 ERA and 143 Ks. If he does, I think that the Indians have the best shot of making the playoffs this year out of my favorite four teams.

Justin Verlander (P), Detroit Tigers
6.05 ERA, 1-7 W-L, 33 K

Uggh! Verlander has been awful this year. A pitching phenom, he went 17-9, with a 3.63 ERA and 124 Ks his rookie year before going 18-6 last year with a 3.66 ERA and 183 Ks. If the Tigers have any hopes of turning their season around this year, Verlander has to become his old self again.

Todd Helton (1B), Colorado Rockies
.269 BA, 3 HR, 12 RBI

My current favorite baseball player, Todd has contributed for many years to the Rockies, toiling on losing team after losing team. The Rockies made a breakthrough last year, reaching the World Series, but have fallen on hard times again this year. Helton, clearly on the downhill slope of his career needs to recapture some of last year’s magic. A return to his 2004 form would be nice: .347 BA, 32 HR, 96 RBI. At this point however, I’d take last year’s numbers: .320 BA, 17 HR, 91 RBI.

There you have it: four teams, four players. What will the last 3/4ths of the season hold for me? Will I be tearing my hair out every night listening to them lose, or will someone finally step up to the plate and make me a happy fan once again?

No comments: