Thursday, February 09, 2006

My last evening as a civilian!

I’m sorry about the lack of postings this week. No excuses: I have been a lazy bum! However, I thought that I should post tonight one last time as a civilian. Starting tomorrow at roughly 15:30 local time, I will be an active duty Navy chaplain. Now, if only I could be paid as one...

In reality, I have to wait until after one last training class (two weeks in March) before I can hook up with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard unit to begin my chaplaincy ministry. That said, it will still be nice to be official. It has taken forever to get through all the red tape, but tomorrow my goal for the past three-plus years finally becomes a reality. Also, starting tomorrow I begin the countdown to a retirement after twenty years of active-duty service, should Melissa and I wish to stay in that long...

As for the rest of my life, well it is pretty boring. I have settled into the work routine and live for the weekends when Melissa and I can hang out together and do nothing. Of course, even if we had the energy to do something, we can’t do anything because we are broke–so I guess it is good that we prefer to do nothing. After all, Saturday and Sunday afternoon naps are free, as is curling up with a good book!

Well, kitty-cat is curled up at my feet so I suppose it is time for bed. Jordan was tearing about the apartment with a wild look in her eyes earlier though. I think she wanted to go outside because when I opened the window here in the bedroom she jumped right up onto the windowsill. Melissa hasn’t taken her outside of late because roofers have been making lots of noise outside (and over our heads). So, Jordan would freak out if she went outside and saw all the commotion. Now it has just snowed about an inch and it promises to be cold tomorrow, so kitty will have to suffer through the "caged bird" syndrome.

Anyway, a blessed evening to all of you!

Grace and Peace,
Peter

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Don't get used to this life shipmate...it won't last long
;-)! BTW--Military Spouse's Appreciation Day [from what I've seen] should be a year-long celebration. Hope Melissa is ready as well. Good luck to the both of you, and welcome to this club!