Saturday, January 14, 2006

Getting Settled in Fort Collins

Well, Melissa and I are settling into our little apartment here in Fort Collins. We’re enjoying having a place to call our own, though setting up the apartment has been pretty expensive. At least I have my job at the sign shop to keep us financially afloat until our ship comes in (an appropriate metaphor for a future Navy chaplain!).

Speaking of work, it has been going ok. You can check out the link to my work on the right side of this page. I’m working in the vinyl department this go around; last time I ran the engraving department. The work can be tedious sometimes, but I have a cast of characters who work with me, so life is never boring. None of my co-workers is terribly religious and some of them have lived pretty hard lives. I have been able to discuss religion a little bit in my week+ of work, but hope to have many more conversations in the future. Please pray for wisdom on my part as I seek to witness to my co-workers. I don’t want to force religion down their throat, nor do I want to come off as condemning their lifestyle like the stereotypical "Bible thumpers" that have turned off at least one of them.

Anyway, that’s work for me. Other than that, I live a pretty boring life. When I get home from work I go for a run, stretch, do a set of push-ups and sit-ups and lift some light weights. Then Melissa and I have dinner. Afterward we usually watch a few episodes of I Love Lucy (courtesy of my grandparents who gave us one of their old DVD players). We have tea and scones, maybe watch another episode...then bed, where we usually read for about an hour before doing our devotions and drifting off to sleep. That’s that!

Now it is time for bed. I’m listening to the Broncos game and they’re a few plays from crushing the Patriots in the AFC playoffs. I can go to bed in a good mood, which will make Melissa happy. Of course, I didn’t get to listen to the first half because we were at church to watch the documentary, Beyond the Gates of Splendor (about the five missionaries killed in Ecuador in 1956). Melissa and I are looking forward to the new full-length feature about the missionaries coming soon to a theatre near you!

Michael, I hope that you got to watch at least some of the game. I’m sure you have a few insufferable Patriots fans in your company. Be sure to rub it in hard!

Colts, Steelers. Doesn’t matter. We’ll win again next week!

Cheers,
Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could not mention the exciting times helping your wonder father in the Sparks program at church? Or coming over to our house for Sunday evening of games, popcorn, and malts?

Love,
Dad