This week I had the privilege of giving an invocation at Marine Aircraft Group (MAG) 39’s corporals’ course graduation. As I sat under the hot sun during the ceremony (91 degrees the last day of October?), I watched with pride as young corporals marched up to receive their diplomas. For many, this is the first real taste of leadership in their lives. As junior NCOs they’ll be in charge of a handful of fellow Marines in their squadrons. I certainly wish them the best as they begin this exciting new phase of their careers.
I am grateful that such young men and women have volunteered to serve their country and their corps. In today's climate, serving in the military is becoming increasingly unpopular in our culture. Plus, the increased tempo of deployments and the likelihood of spending time in the Iraq sandbox means that the benefits the military offers entice fewer and fewer into the ranks. Despite this reality however, many of our nation's finest continue to enlist in the military and put their lives on hold and/or on the line to spend three or four years putting up with a lot of hell.
Sadly, I was reminded of this when the MAG lost a helicopter this week to hostile fire in Iraq. Two more Marines gave their lives in service to our country, a story that received too little attention in the press. Within a week, most of us will have forgotten the sacrifice these two young men made. So, I ask that you pray for these two pilots and their families and I challenge you not to become numb to the number of our servicemen and women sacrificing their lives in Iraq and around the world. Whatever our political persuasion, we ought to be grateful for each individual who dies in defense of freedom and democracy. I know that I am.
Semper Fidelis,
Peter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment