Yesterday marked my last day at MAG (Marine Aircraft Group) 39 at Camp Pendleton. I enjoyed my OJT (on-the-job-training) but was ready to get back to Yucaipa and to Melissa.
As I look back at my month at Pendleton, I don’t think that I did that great a job of relating to the Marine lifestyle. If I were to grade my ministerial efforts, I would give myself a C+. Of course, wearing a different uniform (I had on the old Navy woodland cammis rather than the Marine digital ones) didn’t help. However, I don’t think my uniform was the only thing that made me stick out/feel like an outsider.
First, I never felt comfortable roaming around the different helicopter squadrons. Every time I walked into a workspace, I’d have to explain who I was and then try and strike up a conversation. I had no problem doing this with the officers or enlisted people who worked in the various "s-shops" (administration, intelligence, supply, etc.), but I was really shy when it came to barging into the various machine/repair shops. I am not a very outgoing person, nor am I always confident and sure of myself, especially in the military setting, which remains somewhat foreign to me.
Second, as an officer I noticed that it was harder for me to relate to the junior enlisted. Unlike my OJT at Naval Station Great Lakes, where junior sailors had no trouble speaking with me and spilling out their lives, the junior Marines here seemed reluctant to talk about anything deeper than the weather, sports and their jobs. I think that this is because Marines are taught not to complain when things aren’t going their way. Also, Marines tend to have a great deal of respect (read: fear) for authority and don’t like talking to the brass unless they have to do so.
Now, lest you think that I hated my time at Camp Pendleton, I did enjoy playing chaplain. I always looked forward to Bible study on Wednesday nights and Thursday mornings. Though I was not the leader of the group, I assisted where I could. I do so love to get into the Bible and study it confessionally with my brothers and sisters. I have the advantage of seven years of formal religious/philosophical training, so I can throw out insights and trivia tidbits that others might not now. At the same time, I need "non-professional" Christians to help remind me that the Bible is primarily a manual for living in right relationship with God and His creation (rather than the textbook it sometimes becomes for me.)
I also enjoyed the few counseling sessions I had with the Marines (contrasted to the numerous sessions I had at Great Lakes). I’m much more at ease one-on-one with someone. Of course, during the sessions I always have a running dialogue going on within me that says, "ok Peter, what should I say now? How do I avoid saying something that will really hurt this Marine? Am I listening appropriately?, etc., etc. Sometimes I feel like I’m back in Dr. Massey’s pastoral care class doing practice counseling sessions in front of the class!
Above all, I loved working with my fellow chaplains and RPs (religious program specialists–the enlisted sailors that help us out). In chaplains Girardin, Hoog, and George I found the humility and grace needed to be a military pastor. In chief Dodson and RP2s Willis and Quintanilla I found three true professionals, able co-workers in the RMT (religious ministry team).
So it is that I bid goodbye to the shores of southern California. Now I get to sit and wait a few more weeks for news from the Navy.
Cheers,
Peter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment