Anyway, since I’ve forced you to read another rant, I will now provide you with some photos of our house with a little snow (the snowstorm that followed this completely buried the candy canes you see in the photo), and our daughter decorating the tree as a reward. (Jeez, throwing away the ornament boxes…I can’t believe it!)
Monday, December 29, 2008
Ornament wars!
Ok, I know this makes two posts in a row where I give my wife a hard time, so maybe I should seek out counseling rather than blog. However, I must vent! My wife is an ornament heathen! Last night we took down the tree as we were tired of the little monster attacking the poor defenseless ornaments. As we began to take ornaments off, I methodically wrapped mine, carefully put them back in their ORIGINAL boxes and then neatly placed my ornaments in my DESIGNATED plastic tub. Melissa is not a fan of this. She thinks that we should buy ornament organizers and throw away the ornament boxes. She also doesn’t mind mixing everyone’s ornaments together. She claims that I am too anal retentive; that I could have been an engineer after all. Needless to say, I fired her from taking down the tree. Now all of our ornaments are properly sorted and stowed, awaiting next year. I tried to explain to her that my system is easier in the long run, especially when we have more kids (and they grow up and want to put on their own ornaments).
Anyway, since I’ve forced you to read another rant, I will now provide you with some photos of our house with a little snow (the snowstorm that followed this completely buried the candy canes you see in the photo), and our daughter decorating the tree as a reward. (Jeez, throwing away the ornament boxes…I can’t believe it!)

Anyway, since I’ve forced you to read another rant, I will now provide you with some photos of our house with a little snow (the snowstorm that followed this completely buried the candy canes you see in the photo), and our daughter decorating the tree as a reward. (Jeez, throwing away the ornament boxes…I can’t believe it!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This is so wrong, on so many levels! I'm having trouble remembering what ornament goes to what person and what box anyway, so why give me the added task of making sure it goes into the same rubbermaid it came out of?! I say we're not selling the ornaments anyway, so we should just make it easier on ourselves and buy ornament organizers so we don't have to hunt for the original box every year! And if you're going to be that picky about it, we can each have our own ornament organizer! There! That's my compromise! The orignial boxes are falling apart in most cases anyway! Oy! You drive me NUTS!
Umm...Melissa, you know I generally side with you, but in this case, I have to support Peter. He is the way he is, after all, because of the way he was raised! However, I will concede that if he insists on doing it his way, you should take a break and let him do it himself. And if you let the kids help, you can raise another generation just like Peter and his parents! :-D
Love,
Mom
I have certain special ornaments that do go in their own little boxes (like the "baby's first Christmas" ones) and those get wrapped in the same tissue paper and placed in their special box, but they all go in the big green and red Chritmas storage box. But then I have the not-so-special ornaments that get hasitly wrapped in tissue paper and stuffed in a box. Maybe you guys should compromise.
My mom used to wrap each one up and put it in the original box, but a couple of years ago she bought an ornament organizer and got rid of the falling apart boxes. I think she's happier for it.
Or you can do what I do. Leave them in their individual boxes, inside a larger box and never take them out. You don't have to worry about putting up/taking down decorations and you can still keep the individual boxes in good shape. Then if you want to get into the Christmas spirit crash other peoples house's and look at their decorations.
Its worked for me so far:)
Michael
I agree with Peter on this one. I am very detailed about cataloging our ornaments and keeping the original boxes, and we don't even have children yet. But that's how my mom did it and I continued her system. Benny is content to throw them in a box, forget about them and then be confused each December.
Wow how did I miss this post?!?!? I agree with Peter as well. But that's because I am same exact way. Why bother buying an organizer when you already have boxes for them? Just put all those in a bigger box. That's what I do :)
Post a Comment