Saturday, July 26, 2008

Wee, it's a Wii!

This past Wednesday Melissa and I stopped in at our friends' home for dinner. While there, I was introduced to the Nintendo Wii, which I had never before played. The evening grew late, Melissa took baby Sarah home and off to bed, yet I played on, bum leg and all. Below is an article I wrote for the chaplain’s corner in the base newspaper that chronicles my experience. Do you think that Melissa will let me buy a Wii of my own now that I’ve turned it into a religious symbol?

About a month ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee to clear out some excess tissue and fluid. A few weeks after the surgery, I finally ditched the crutches and began walking again, so the past few days have been amusing for my friends as they watch me limp around awkwardly. Recently, I had dinner at a friend’s house and he introduced me to Wii Fit. I’ve not played on Nintendo’s newest gaming machine before, so I excitedly, though gingerly, joined in a friendly competition. The game soon labeled me as “unbalanced” after I’d failed to hula-hoop properly.

I’m not the most graceful, well-balanced guy even when I have two healthy legs, so my less-than-stellar record on Wii Fit did not surprise me. However, it did get me to thinking: how balanced am I in the rest of my life? As my battalion gets ready to step out the door on deployment, am I balancing work and family properly? Physically, am I getting enough exercise? Am I balancing my sweet-tooth with my desire to lose weight? Spiritually, am I spending enough time in prayer and meditation before I start working each day? Or am I letting the cares of this world overwhelm me?

In today’s world, it’s easy for all of us to become unbalanced. I encourage all of us to refocus and rediscover our center. For me, that center is my relationship with God. I know that if I spend time in prayer and meditation each day, I am less angry, stressed, bitter and burned-out. I know that if I am a godly, loving husband and block out time for my family, I don’t resent working longer hours before deployment. I know that if I take care of the body God has gifted me with (bum knee and all) and go out for a run; I’ll be less tempted by Oreos and cheddar sour cream potato chips. Your center may be different than mine. Whatever or whomever your center is though, I encourage you take time this week to reconnect to it and remind yourself that you are a human being in need of grace and a grounded center. May God bless you on your journey!

1 comment:

Meli said...

That was a wonderful article Chaps! Too bad you weren't here this weekend, we played all kinds of games in the pool. And you know working out in water is better on the joints....