I suppose that it is time for a weekend update. On Friday Melissa decided that we needed to do something outside of the house. Since we hadn’t been on a date in a couple of weeks, I acquiesced and took her to a local soup and salad joint. She’s been on a “eat healthy” food kick for a while, so no Mexican or Italian restaurant for us! (I won’t mention the leftover Halloween candy that has been a source of temptation.) After our dinner we went to the Target nearby to use up two gift cards that we got for our wedding. Seeing as it was after Halloween, we knew that the odds of finding Christmas decorations were high–we were right! We bought some outdoor lights and other paraphernalia that will make our house quite festive in a few weeks.
On Saturday, I got to sleep in for the first time in several weeks. I think I made it all the way to 0700! After a leisurely morning slumming around, Melissa and I went shopping at the exchange for food as our cupboards were a desolate wasteland with nary a morsel to feed a poor, wayfaring stranger. 150 dollars poorer, we headed back to the house where Melissa busied herself baking chocolate cookie bars and I busied myself with a mid-afternoon nap. At 1600 we ventured out with Tirzah and cookies in tow to the Rhoads’ house, the home of a fellow chaplain on the base. We had a chaplain party wherein the chaplains all talked shop and the wives all talked children. Though we have no rugrats of our own, we do have an incorrigible dog so Melissa was able to sympathize with the poor ladies. On a most disconcerting note, all of the chaplains (save the Catholic priest) have four children apiece (he has seven). Melissa and I better get cracking!
Sunday morning found us sleeping in again as we’d decided to go to the chapel service at Point Mugu, which is exactly the same as the service at Port Hueneme, except that it is two hours later. Since I will be covering for Chaplain Rhoads next Sunday, preaching at both services, we thought it would be good to check out the second service at least once. In retrospect, we probably should’ve gone to the earlier service as the Point Mugu congregation has a potluck the first Sunday of every month. To recap: Halloween candy all week, Friday night dinner out, Saturday night eating with friends, Sunday fellowshipping over food, today (Monday) eating leftover cookie bars. So much for eating healthy! I’m just glad that our semi-annual weigh-ins were last week...
At any rate, we finished up the weekend by attending a women’s Bible study. Well, Melissa attended and I took care of children. Thankfully Chaplain Rhoads was there as well, so we talked shop some more. I also enjoyed my time building blocks for the little mutchkins to knock down.
Whew! I’m beat just writing about this past weekend. I need to go to bed now...
Goodnight!
Peter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Peter watch your sentence structure, you seem to say that the Catholic priest has seven kids.
I enjoy your posts.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment