Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trying to Pass the PRT

Last week the battalion staff took the physical readiness test, which is a biannual test of our ability to crank out sit-ups, push-ups (2 minutes each) and a 1.5 mile run in a decent time. I maxed out on push-ups (84), did so–so on the run (10:18) and bombed miserably on sit-ups with 73. Combined, I scored an Excellent Medium, which is actually a decent score for the test. However, if I had either done two more sit-ups, or run 3 seconds faster, I would have scored an Excellent High. Thus I found myself this morning once again running the PRT (we get an entire month to take this sucker as many times as we want), this time with the headquarters types, like my RP. While I am proud to say that I crushed RP, I didn’t improve–not one iota, not one jot, not one tittle. I did 84, 73 and 10:18. Uggh! At least I win the prize for consistency! I’m going to try again on Friday.

The sad thing is, I used to be able to run much, much faster. The best score for me on the run would be an 8:15, an easy day when I was in high school or college. My back has been rather stiff, which has slowed me down, but I doubt I’ll be able to get in much under 09:35 which is where I’d prefer to be. However, I will say that my endurance is still decent as I can crank out a 21 minute 3 mile, and routinely run sub 17 in our 2.25 Friday races. I just don’t have the speed or the killer instinct that I once had.

Speaking of killer instinct, I have none when it comes to work. I’ve found myself of late just watching the clock and not doing much else. I think it is time for another long weekend. Fortunately, Veterans Day is around the corner.

Anyway, the missus is calling me for dinner–leftover tuna casserole.

Be of good cheer and have a blessed day!

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of getting old. Soon you will be like your dad, slow. :-)