The Democrats will soon find that it is easier to be a critical minority than a constructive majority. Does anyone remember the Republican “Contract with America”? How many of those initiatives came to pass? Democrats have done an excellent job whining and complaining about the political state of our country and a slight majority of voters agree with them. However, I have not seen little coherent talk from the Democratic leadership regarding either domestic or international policy. They have offered no concrete plan for Iraq, have stuck their heads in the sand about illegal immigration and have no clue how to fix Social Security or balance the budget.
I’m not saying that Republicans have all the answers either; I certainly have not been happy with their actions, especially in Iraq. Nor am I rooting for the Democrats to fail. What I am suggesting is that the time for empty, easy words is over. The ball is squarely in the Democrat’s court and its time for them to show us that they’ve got game. I remain skeptical that they do. In winning this year’s election battle, they may very well have lost the presidential war. Two years from now, will people really want to elect a Democrat president when they will have proven themselves inept in Congress?
One other note. Several Republicans went down yesterday because of their links to serious political and ethical scandals. Couple that with the unfortunate downfall of conservative Christian leaders in recent weeks, and it is no surprise that the remnants of the 80s and 90s “Moral Majority,” are licking their wounds this morning. However, I believe that the Republican party took so much heat over its ethical and moral shortcomings precisely because it has long been the party that has identified itself with a strong ethical and moral base (comprised primarily of Christians).
Democrats tend to get off easier in this regard because the country has become so accustomed to shady characters and corrupt practices pervading the Democrat camp. To be fair, there are plenty of honest, God-fearing, ethical and moral Democrats, just as there are plenty of corrupt Republicans. However, Democrats have been largely unsuccessful in aligning their vision and their causes with the ethics and morals of the American people. They win votes by playing to people’s fears and offering a handout to anyone who asks for one. Now that they have rejoiced in the downfall of their brothers and sisters across the aisle, the Democrats had better start looking at themselves. They’ve promised us reform and a new vision, a more honest democracy. Let us see if we shall get it! I’m not holding my breath...
3 comments:
Well said... I'm not holding my breath either. In California, Republicans have lost their identity. The Republican party used to be identified as a party of morals and prosperity. While greed and pandering to anybody that wants something now seems to rule the day with the Republican party, the Dems have come out of the closet and given us an unbelieveable mess of a political state. The once unseemly actions of a corrupt society are now celebrated and the good morals of society are considered dangerous to a healthy society? What nonsense. With no moral direction we will sink into the cesspool of anarchy. Even the second term governor of California considers himself "fiscally conservative and morally liberal." I think he's fiscally a disaster and morally bankrupt. The only positive I guess is the fact he's a little better than the Democrat's offering.
Consider this: Parents now have no right to know when their teenage daughters are terminating their unborn child's life. THANK YOU ARNOLD AND YOUR DEMOCRAT PALS.
The pandering of my party of choice to illegal immigrants has just about turned California back into Northern Baja. The "Golden State" into the Vicente Fox state. The Mexican President has more impact in this state than just about anyone else. The name Mexifornia has become a reality thanks to the Feds and the State.
Sorry to rant but, California politics are so corrupt, confusing and morally apprehensible that I had to spew.
Here's a scary thought: President Clinton and Speaker Pelosi. Don't laugh... It can happen.
Dad Z...
Now with the Dems in charge of Congress it is their war. I suggest we start calling it the Pelosi War.
Peter,
Well though out and very coherient, a lot more than some of my rants. I am happy that the republicans lost as it forced Rumsfeld to resign. From the moment I joined the Army there has been nothing but bad things spoken about him. Being a cherry ass 2LT I had no clue about some of the stuff but looking back I have seen a pattern of complete disregard for the military establishment. Yes I know that civilians are in charge of the Army and you need that to provide a balance, but when the balance sits squarely on the civilian side it is just as bad if there were no civilian presence. Perhapse now the Generals can do thier job and can come up with a way to get the hell out of here.
While I am glad that Rummy is gone I have issues with some of the articles I have read about the democratic plans. I can easily see them embarking on a road towards economic isolation which would be worse than the President's politcal isolation.
Michael
Post a Comment