Thursday, April 23, 2009

The end of the world?

So, I had a random experience today. Melissa, Sarah Rose and I returned from our walk and I opened my car to pull out the garage door clicker in order to put the stroller back into the garage. *Click.* Nothing. *Click, click.* Nothing. *Click, click, click, click….* You get the idea. Melissa hopped in her car to use her clicker. Still nothing. I let myself into the house through the front door to find out if the garage door had tripped somehow and needed me to manually reopen it and reset it. At that point, I figured that the power was out. No big deal, right? Only thing is, it was a nice day, warm and sunny with little wind. (Often the power will go out during bad wind storms.) What was up? Melissa hopped on the laptop to see if we’d paid the electric bill, which we had just a week ago. I decided to call my brother to see if he could hop online and figure out if there was a significant outage somewhere. No dice. I couldn’t get a cell call out nor could I use a land line. I guess when the power goes out here on Whidbey Island it really goes out!

In fact, for a moment I thought that people were right, that Obama really is the Antichrist and the rapture had occurred while we were out on our walk; that the end of the world was right around the corner (disappointing all of those who advocated the Mayan theory that the world is ending [or rebooting] in 2012).

Thankfully, the power is now back on and all is well. I must say that it was a little odd being disconnected from the outside world for an hour. That said, after the walk we just hung outside while I put our new Washington state license plates on our cars (I’d registered them this morning) and waited for the power to return.

No comments: