Well, the weekend has come and gone and I sit here wondering how Monday could so soon be here again.
Yesterday was an extremely lazy day as we all were limp due to the unseasonable heat. We hit 89, a new record. I’ll have to check tomorrow morning to see what we hit today (Sunday). Since we had a birthday party to go to on Sunday, Melissa convinced me to beat the heat and birthday shop at the same time by heading to the bookstore. Not surprisingly, we somehow came away with books for both her and Sarah as well. Oh well, if we have to spoil our daughter, I’d rather spoil her with books than most anything else…
Yesterday evening, once baby was in bed, Melissa and I had a lovely meal of broiled salmon, rice, green beans and crescent rolls. We started to watch In Harm’s Way, but didn’t finish it as it was getting late. I think that Melissa wanted to reward me for watching all the chick flicks with her and picked out a nice John Wayne movie for me. The only thing is (and she knows this) I actually enjoy most of the chick flicks, so I win either way…
Today, Melissa, Sarah and I got up early to eat breakfast as we were hungry. I made our usual breakfast: bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches on English muffins with hot chocolate spiked with nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and whipped cream. We lazed around before church where Melissa had the nursery. She managed to keep track of six kids on top of Sarah. In my humble opinion, this proves that she is ready to manage twin boys!
After church we hurried home where we changed into our swimsuits and headed off to the pool to celebrate a friend’s first birthday. We had fun swimming around with Sarah Rose. I must say that she is a natural floater. Even though I’ve sadly added a few pounds since coming out to California, I’ve got nothing on Sarah’s baby fat—she has as much blubber as a whale and floats just like one.
This afternoon we lazed around and tried to beat the heat again. I think Sarah ended up sleeping most of the afternoon before she stirred around 1900. After food, a bath, a bedtime story and more food she passed right back out again. Melissa and I finished up our movie from yesterday. Though the movie is obviously a Hollywood version of life in the Navy, I’m glad that it doesn’t spare the reality of death and broken dreams that war brings with it. When I was a boy, I used to dream of being a naval war hero one day and I suppose a part of that dream (or a part of that boy) will always be with me. Nowadays though, I must say that I am glad that we will never fight naval battles like they did in the Second World War. However, I do miss the awesome lines of the ships of old. Today’s ships are all boxy and angular, with missile tubes replacing the beautiful curves of a gun turret…
Now it is time for bed. Since I’ve been a slacker about getting up photos, I thought I’d make it up by linking to two facebook albums I put up today—just follow the links below!
Easter Sunday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22979&l=fcfc9&id=725023110
Change-of-Command: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22983&l=5ae2d&id=725023110
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I wish Jason would consider spoiling our yet unborn children with books. I've been told if I want my books I'll have to move them myself. Things I should have known before saying I Do ;)
Post a Comment