Friday, July 13, 2007

Random Photographs

Before I get to the meat of the post, let me point your attention to the baseball scoreboard where the Indians, Reds, Rockies and Tigers all won last night. On the fantasy side of the house, all three of my pitchers that went today one, and my lineup went a cumulative 17 for 35 with 4 homeruns, 6 runs and 14 RBIs. A good day for baseball!

I know that some of you are dying to see photos of my life in Iraq. In reality, you could go to a local playground, find the sandbox and have a pretty good image right there of my surroundings. However, to indulge the rest of you I thought I’d post a few pictures for you today.

First up, a picture of me with our Command Master Chief. We’re standing outside the front door to my SWA (South West Asia) hut, which houses the PAO office, post office, library, chapel, my office and my bedroom, all in a facility 16 by 32 feet (my ‘room’ is 6 by 8 feet).

Next, a photo of me inside the SWA hut. I am in the middle section which is the chapel area. You can tell by the books behind me that it doubles as the library. I built all the bookshelves. I have my portable church kit set up on a high table that I’ve covered with an old sheet.

Next, a photo of me preparing to fill a sandbag. We often have to fill up a sandbag as payment to enter the galley (or DFAC, as the army calls it). Coalition forces use the sandbags to protect police checkpoints, command outposts and the like out in town.

Finally, a couple of shots of me reenlisting our battalion’s MC2 (mass communication specialist 2nd class) on top of a tank on the 4th of July. Bonus points if you can identify the tank.

I hope you’ve enjoyed these few shots. I’ll try to do a better job of documenting my life around here for you all to see!

Cheers,
Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The tank is an Abrams. Man you sure are lucky not having to wear full kit to go to the DFAC. It seemed like half the deployment was spent going to the DFAC in IBA. My room was bigger, I dont know the dimensions but I would guess that it was 10X15.

Michael