Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Dog and Cheerleaders

Well, it is official—our dog is spoiled. A proud graduate of puppy kindergarten, Tirzah is now receiving private tutoring at our home courtesy of me opening my wallet and shelling out a few pennies. Oh well, I suppose I should get used to it—other little furry munchkins will be draining the ol’ budget soon enough. On the plus side, the trainer thinks highly of Melissa and me as parents. We seem to be raising puppy well…

In the meantime, life back at the office continues to slog on by slowly. My days are either really busy or pretty quiet. On the quiet days I try to work on public affairs stuff, making sure that we keep pumping out positive PR for the battalion. On the busy days, I just try to stay ahead of the game. For example, I spent yesterday morning swamped with four counseling cases and had the thrill of attending weekly staff/peoples meetings all afternoon. Huzzah for meetings!

On the other hand, being in the Navy does have its perks. For one thing, at official events I get to wear really spiffy uniforms and pretend that I do something exotic—like Tom Cruise in Top Gun or those guys on JAG. At the end of this post I’ve included a few pictures of me from NMCB FOUR’s change-of-command along with the article published in the base newspaper (edited slightly from my original).

I also get to flirt with cheerleaders. The Dallas Cowboys have their training camp in nearby Oxnard, so the cheerleaders visited the base. As the public affairs officer I had to get my picture taken...at least that’s what our photographer said. I just hope he doesn’t use this photo for blackmail! (Don’t worry–Melissa gave me permission to meet them). I will say this, I wish I had the makeup contract; I’d make a killing. I’m sure these ladies spend way more time than I do getting ready in the morning! I don’t think I’d like their job–always having to be perky and pretending that I like everyone. That, and I’d want to have a little more fat on my bones. One note: there is an Ott on the squad, but I didn’t get to meet her. At any rate, here is a picture, which like all the rest is taken by MC2 Gutridge.

Anywhoo, I had better spend some time with my wife before I get into any trouble. Take it easy my friends!


NMCB 4 Gets New Commanding Officer

Commander Steve Hamer relieved Commander John Korka as Commander, Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 4 in a ceremony July 7, 2006.
Hamer comes to NMCB 4 after serving for two years at Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest in San Diego, Calif. Korka’s next duty is as the executive officer of Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Europe in Naples, Italy.
During Korka’s two year of command, NMCB 4 has been an active particpant in the Global War on Terrorism. In 2005, the battalion deployed to Iraq, fighting in the Battle of Fallujah and providing critical support during the first Iraqi elections.
This year, a detachment from NMCB 4 provided security support as the Navy’s first detainee battalion in Iraq. NMCB 4 has also responded to natural disasters, including providing humanitarian aid to the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and to Pakistan after an earthquake devastated the country in 2005.
The battalion also recently returned from a successful Western Pacific deployment in which its Seabees participated in a variety of international exercises while carrying out construction projects in eight different countries.
Commander Korka noted that the battalion’s “can do” rally cry has made a difference for the military, Americans and foreign allies.
“Regardless of the task or deployment location, you have always remained dedicated to the mission at hand and committed to building on our proud Seabee legacy,” said Korka.
“I am very excited to join the legendary NMCB 4 team at this place and time in our nation’s history,” said Commander Hamer after taking command of his new battalion. “It is my solemn pledge to use every ounce of my energy to lead this great command ably.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You two do make a handsome couple! NO! I am NOT talking about the cheerleader!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

We had a Dallas Cowboys calendar and there was always a fight as to what month was showing---we did not care about the days. Anyway I had my favorite that I would always switch it to. After several days I was browsing through the calender and noticed the names. The one that I liked was Ott, sick or wierd she was good looking. Then the calendar disapered and I moved on.

Michael