Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Update on Life

I could lie and say that I've resolved to start writing here again as an act of creative discipline, but I am really not the resolving type.  Mostly, I'm just writing to give a quick update on our situation (and I do promise that I will be posting some "farewell" remarks I am working on).

As everyone knows, the Navy is giving me the boot on 01 March.  I'll land in the reserves, but my days on active duty are quickly drawing to an end.  I've been working to take over a contractor position at my last command, NAS Whidbey Island.  I would become the civilian CREDO director, a new position for the base (previously the only CREDO positions were at the regional level, and the billets were all filled by Navy chaplains).  However, the contracting agency informed me today that they haven't made a final decision yet to accept my plan to turn over the CREDO job with the temporary incumbent, but hope to give me an answer by early-to-mid December.  This makes a move up to Whidbey to start the job by 01 February increasingly unlikely as it takes time to set up a PCS move, and then a couple of weeks to execute the move.

In many ways, an 01 March start date works much better for our family.  It would allow us to celebrate Christmas in our own home, would give me more time to work on the processing paperwork (which is a lot – who knew getting out would be so hard?), and would mean that we’d be moving up to Whidbey right as we get our involuntary separation pay (which I won’t get until after I’ve officially been separated on 01 March).  That last point is important as the extra cash flow is what we plan to use to pay off all our debt, except school loans (which have a really low interest rate barely above inflation) and our current home, leaving us a modest sum to play with for future housing.

Please pray for this to all work itself out in the next few weeks.  We also need renters for our current home as our current renters are moving out 01 November.  We've kicked around the idea of moving back there ourselves, but it would be a really tight fit with a homeschooling family of six! Even so, we want to follow the Lord's lead and trust He will provide housing that allows us to minister and reach out to the community.
 
God is good, all the time!  May you and yours have a blessed Thanksgiving,

Grace and Peace,
Peter

No comments: