Melissa and I are hoping to get into base housing as Ventura County is awfully expensive (third highest in nation based on the average cost of a house). However, I doubt we’ll have it lined up when we get there, so Melissa will live with her parents in Yucaipa until a house opens up for us. In the meantime, our stuff will live in storage.
I must say that I am excited to be working with the Seabees. I know that it is a tough assignment and that the Seabees deploy frequently. I also know that as the Navy’s construction workers, they will likely be a little rough-around-the-edges. However, I will be the only chaplain for the 600 member unit, which means that I get to be the official "command chaplain." One of my collateral duties is to also serve as the Public Affairs Officer, which means I am in charge of the journalist and the photographer. Add it all up, and this duty station should be a challenging first tour, both professionally and personally (good for my career and my soul).
I have been in contact with the chaplain I am replacing. Chaplain Rhoads and his wife are actually taking over the base chapel at Port Hueneme and will be able to help Melissa and I transition into the active-duty Navy. They both are really nice people and have been very helpful already.
Also, my good friend Sunny is a base chaplain in Sasebo, Japan. She currently works with a contingent of my Seabee unit attached to Sasebo and reports that they are fun to work with, even if they can be a little gruff. Between Sunny and Chaplain Rhoads, I think I’ll be starting my career in the Navy with at least a little bit of a clue!
Now, as a closing to this blog, I’ve posted a picture of myself from Chaplain’s Basic Course when I went through it as a Chaplain Candidate Program Officer (CCPO) in the summer of 2003. My, how the years have flown! I never thought I’d be only a few weeks away from being a regular ol’ Navy chaplain working stiff...
3 comments:
Peter,
I am so glad that things have worked out with the Navy chaplaincy. I know you had a difficult time getting an assignment. It's really exciting that you will be heading out soon. I am sure Melissa has mixed feelings. I couldn't imagine being in her shoes. Let her know that she is in our thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best. I know you will be a wonderful chaplain. I will look forward to keeping up with you through your blog.
God bless,
Naomi
Congratulations Peter! Very proud of you, as always. I hope your journey to Japan is a good one. Tell Sunny hello. And very excited about your doggy as well. I got myself a kitty (surprise!)though she sometimes acts like a dog. She's a bit wild and very outgoing (like her owner). Her name is Scout.
Talk to you soon!
Congratulations Peter! Very proud of you, as always. I hope your journey to Japan is a good one. Tell Sunny hello. And very excited about your doggy as well. I got myself a kitty (surprise!)though she sometimes acts like a dog. She's a bit wild and very outgoing (like her owner). Her name is Scout.
Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment