Note: I'm having trouble formatting the psalm into this blog, plus it is quite long, so I'm just including a link to today's scripture, something I'll probably do in the future. Today's scripture: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2018;&version=31
When I read today’s psalm I could relate to David. I have had my share of days where I cried out to God to rescue me from my enemies. How I have longed to have God reach down from on high and take hold of me; drawing me out of deep waters (whether of my enemies or my own making). I too have wished that God could just set me in a safe place–perhaps His lap.
You know, too often I think of Jesus as God and forget that He was also fully human. But as we celebrate God coming to earth as the Christ child we remember that God was just that–a human child. I bet that when he was a young kid growing up he probably faced a few bullies or had some horrible days when he wished he’d never gotten out of bed. I’m speculating now, but I bet that on those days Jesus felt the same way that David did and I do. I bet that he too wanted to crawl into somebody’s lap–probably his mother’s. Mothers laps are very comforting, especially to children. Now that I am older I can’t exactly fly home to Colorado and hop in my mommy’s lap every time something goes wrong, but I can call on the One who’s lap is large enough for all.
In the end, I find it very comforting to know that the Christ child needed a mommy too. The past few days we have focused on God’s power and sovereignty over creation. However, I am grateful that we worship a God who is tender and kind–one who knows firsthand what its like to need a kiss and a hug to make the world all right again–one who gathers us close when our enemies surround us.
No comments:
Post a Comment